Wednesday, April 29, 2009

SERIOUS EXPLOITATION APPROVED SONG OF THE WEEK-4/29/2009

Being in a band has gotten me back into music in a big way. Up until about 6 or 7 years ago, I kept up with music, both popular and underground and one day, in a disgusted rage, just up and quit rock and roll. Then I moved to Boone, NC and just kind of quit everything for a bit. Call it a personal intervention away from pop culture. I learned to love my record collection at the time more.

But in the past year or so, I've been seeking out more new music. And now being in a band, I'm back on it full bore. Myspace is great for finding new music by a bunch of kids in a basement somewhere in Dubuque, Iowa but also a little disheartening. So much stuff and most of it sucks, a whole generation lost to Hot Topic-approved corporate rock and roll. But there's still some good underground rock and roll out there and oddly enough, some of the bigger names are putting out more vital and exciting music than their younger counterparts.

So now I'm gonna (at least) once a week give you the SERIOUS EXPLOITATION APPROVED SONG OF THE WEEK. And here's the first one:

TINTED WINDOWS-MESSING WITH MY HEAD



TINTED WINDOWS is the power-pop supergroup with Taylor Hanson (Hanson), James Iha(Smashing Pumpkins), Adam Schlesinger (Fountains Of Wayne) and the great Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick).

Figures Adam Schlesinger would be spearheading this. I'm a huge Fountains Of Wayne fan, whose last album kind of blew but had a pretty spectacular run of AM-fueled power-pop up to WELCOME INTERSTATE MANAGERS. I always hated Smashing Pumpkins so it's good to see James Iha in a decent band. Taylor Hanson. Well, let's say I wasn't a fan but I appreciated the bubble-gum throwback at the time and the fact they could play their own instruments. Bun E. Carlos? He's the drummer for fucking Cheap Trick, man!

In a perfect world, this song would be blasting out of car speakers on the way to literal and figurative beaches all over the world all summer long. It now has what could possibly be a dubious honor as the inaugural SERIOUS EXPLOITATION APPROVED SONG OF THE WEEK.

So much for a movie blog.

No comments: