Saturday, April 25, 2009

Fuck THE WRESTLER (2008).














A month or so back, I finally caught up with THE WRESTLER when a new all-digital multiplex opened up not far from my neighborhood.

I didn't like it. Had some moments but it was sunk by a horrible script. It's not as good as some have made it out to be. I'm right about this. I am.

Now with it's release on DVD, more and more folks come up to me and ask if I liked THE WRESTLER. In between the time I saw it and it's DVD release, I've grown to hate it more. It's a fucking chick flick for guys. It could be TERMS OF ENDEARMENT if you rearrange the pieces right. It's cliche-ridden, maudlin and creepy in ways it never intended (I thought he was going to fuck his daughter at a couple points).



While I don't doubt some people liked the movie, I'd have to ask them, especially with the passage of time and moments for rumination, was it as good as you thought? Seriously. If Rourke standing at a dead end street talking on a lonely pay phone doesn't make you go "Really?" out loud in the middle of a movie theatre like it did me, I can't help you.

If you want a good Mickey Rourke movie, try the forgotten POINT BLANK (1998.)


















POINT BLANK image from kevingage.com

No comments: