Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jay Reatard


Photo by Tom Oxley @ www.tomoxley.co.uk

It's hard to believe that Jay Reatard is dead. But then again, it's not.

Reatard was a volatile rock and roll champion who getting into fights with the audience was part of the show. Most recently here in Austin, two kids jumped on stage to fight him. The show was a little over 25 minutes. I didn't go. I was broke. I was hoping to see him next time.

Reatard's earlier stuff didn't wow me. It's kind of pretentious in it's punk/garage posturing and artlessness. But man, did that kid ever grow. His most recent outings were incredibly melodic and raging full-on, the kind of noisy pop songs you wish you could write but alas can't.

It also reminded me of how I take things for granted. If you're wanting to do something but come up with a reason for why you can't, do it anyways. I could have went to that show. I was broke, but I still could've gone. I'd see him someday. I was being responsible.

Like Creedence says, someday never comes.

Sleep well, Jay.


Waiting For Something - a short documentary about Jay Reatard


While this is no official video, it is my favorite Reatard song.

Jay Reatard MySpace Music Videos


The newest video and a hell of a song.

No comments: