Tuesday, March 2, 2010

BAD BIOLOGY (2008)


I seriously have no idea what to say about Frank Henenlotter’s latest film. I almost find myself not wanting to write about it. But this is Serious Exploitation. And Frank Henenlotter is a living exploitation legend. But BAD BIOLOGY? Jesus Christ, what a fucking bore.

There’s nothing to recommend here whatsoever. Matter of fact, it’s as if Henenlotter has spent the last 16 to 17 years figuring out that what he really needs to make is a Troma film. And folks, I’ll be the first to tell you that I’m not a Troma fan, especially Troma of late, but in their defense, at least they keep things lively.

The acting’s awful but I’ve come to expect that from Henenlotter’s films. They kind of operate in their own universe and the poor, hammy acting is usually a plus. Henenlotter’s technique is rather wooden which kind of apes the Something Weird 60’s style roughies he’s fond of. But here, I don’t know this Henenlotter because BIOLOGY is neither fun nor interesting. I didn’t care one iota about anything that was happening on my TV. I don’t know if co-writer/producer R.A. The Rugged Man has anything to do with this downturn in Henenlotter’s loopy yet entertaining microcosm but he gets some of the blame too.



The whole damn thing suffers from a complete lack of purpose. I wasn’t offended, titillated, shocked or entertained. There seems no reason for it to exist other than somebody wanted to join images together and call it a feature. With BAD BIOLOGY, Henenlotter has made his first forgettable movie. Now that offends me.

No comments: