Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Slow fucking start, eh? I've been re-doing things (meaning straightening up unorganized piles of movie shit) and getting the money together for a new scanner. I've got a ton of stuff I'm going through and I need something bigger for old video ads from the 80's and larger pressbooks. However, I came across some more old Jacksonville microfilm and I put some up, mostly in the SERIOUS JACKSONVILLE HORROR section as well as SERIOUS JACKSONVILLE CHOPSOCK and SERIOUS JACKSONVILLE SEXPLOITATION. Not a lot mind you but I'm getting spring fever and have plans to head over to the college this weekend to do more Miami microfilm. When that happens, I'm good for a solid two weeks of putting shit up.

New 12 screen all digital Carmike multiplex opened up not far from me and I checked it out last Friday, which coincidentally was opening day. Nothing major to report other than moviegoing is dead. I swear the place felt like I was in a Chuck E. Cheese. And I guess because it was opening day and one of the first shows, everybody was super patronizingly nice, holding doors open and doing everything but blowing me. Kind of creepy actually. The presentation was nice, I have to give them that. Popcorn sucked though.

And the film? I finally caught up with THE WRESTLER. And it's a pretty awful movie, even though I liked parts of it. However, if this is considered offbeat and challenging cinema, we're fucked. Seriously fucked.

I did get to watch THE HONKERS on Encore Western Channel Friday night. It's not bad, but I wasn't too impressed. Rodeo footage was excellent and James Coburn is great. But the whole Slim Pickens thing is handled horribly and the motherfucker literally just ends, as if there was no ending at all. You could argue maybe that was the point, but the truth is, JUNIOR BONNER is way better. In the 1972 broken down rodeo rider sweepstakes, it's the winner hands down, but I should reserve judgement as I'm in the process of procuring Cliff Robertson's J.W. COOP, which surprisingly I've never seen and may kick JUNIOR BONNER's ass.

No comments: